Come and learn the art of hand drawn maps with award winning illustrator Helen Cann.
Hand drawn maps are a beautiful alchemy of form, function and artistry which express a view of a particular place at a particular time by a particular person. At the workshop you’ll learn:
– how to research your territory with notes and sketches
– simple gridding up techniques
– how to use negative space effectively with pattern, illustration or stories
– how to create decorative compass roses and cartouches
– how to design personalised feature icons and keys
– easy to draw but simply elegant hand lettering
Helen Cann is an award winning illustrator and her maps appear in print, books, film and tv. She is the author and illustrator of 'Hand Drawn Maps - a guide for creatives' (Thames and Hudson) which you can see in Fuse Box our creative learning space designed to accompany ‘At Altitude’ open for all during gallery hours
The workshop is for all creative abilities. Please be aware that, weather dependent, there will be a short walk as part of the workshop. Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear.
Over 18s only
Please only book for one date
Maximum 10 places
Pay What You Can – recommendation contribution £45 – nobody will be excluded on ability to pay. Payment to be made on the day of the workshop at the Welcome Desk.